Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determination of Sodium hydroxide and Sod. Carbonate in Sodium teritary Amylate

kishorematuri
Involved Contributor
Involved Contributor

Hi, 

Thanks for providing opportunity for learning.

Recently, i come across an application for determining Hydroxide content by Karl Fischer titration by using a working medium of Methanol and Benzoic acid/Salicylic acid.

Could you please explain the principle behind such application.

Further, Benzoic acid/Salicylic acid are recommended as buffering agents in KF Titration for optimizing the pH condition and to favor KF titration for water content determination. In that case how can we say that the measured water content of alkaline samples is a true value.

Request you to please clarify.

2 REPLIES 2

Molly_I2
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kishorematuri Welcome to our online community! I will look to see if we can help you find some context to answer this question. I'm certain, if anything, we can point you in the right direction! 

Molly_I2
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello  @kishorematuri  - I wanted to share a few resources from our technical support team and let you know if you have further questions about this technique or the reagents involved, you can reach them here-> Phone:+1 800-227-6701 (Contact Us | Thermo Fisher Scientific - US). To start- The team said you will need to determine if you would like to first determine if Karl Fischer Titration (water content determination) or hydroxide determination using acid-base titration the priority.  They included some details on water determination products here and a resource for acid-base titration that may be of use here. They also included an overview of reagents and standards - that can be found using this link Karl Fischer Titration | Fisher Scientific. Please let me know if this helps guide you to the resources you need and thanks for your patience as we looped back with you.

Related Analysis Resources