Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hypochlorite determination by IC?

peterjakab
Involved Contributor II
Involved Contributor II

Hello,

Is it possible to measere hypochlorite (ClO-) anion (high dilution, low level concentration, ppb-ppm range) with the following setup, KOH EG, AS19 column, ADRS 600 suppressor, CD detector?

I didn't find any application note where the measurable compound is ClO- and the Virtual Column Simulator don't contain that analyte.

I'm worried about the following:

-cause damage on the stationary phase

-cause damage on the suppressor membrane

Can I be brave enought to inject this type of sample? 🙂

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JeffRohrer
Team TFS
Team TFS

The problem is that it is not very stable and will convert to chlorite, chlorate, and chloride (mostly the last two as chlorite will be an intermediate).  Hypochlorite is also a weak acid and not likely to be detected by suppressed conductivity. Older work (>30 years) showed detection with a platinum working electrode. That would be a good research project but you would still have the problem with the analyte's instability.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Molly_I2
Community Manager
Community Manager

@peterjakab Great to see your question and welcome back. Let me start the conversation on our side for you and see what we can find out. @The_Ion_Lady and @chris-shevlin, hoping you can help me sort some information for peterjakab.

JeffRohrer
Team TFS
Team TFS

The problem is that it is not very stable and will convert to chlorite, chlorate, and chloride (mostly the last two as chlorite will be an intermediate).  Hypochlorite is also a weak acid and not likely to be detected by suppressed conductivity. Older work (>30 years) showed detection with a platinum working electrode. That would be a good research project but you would still have the problem with the analyte's instability.

View solution in original post

peterjakab
Involved Contributor II
Involved Contributor II

Dear @JeffRohrer 

I understand. Thank you your help and answer!

Molly_I2
Community Manager
Community Manager

@peterjakab I thought I would follow up and mention that we do have a link for technical support that takes you directly to a team to help with troubleshooting Contact Us | Thermo Fisher Scientific - US 

Usually, by using a relevant product sku you can get in touch with the right team fairly quickly. If you think you need a more detailed discussion about your method in particular, this might be a good resource for you. 

mzCloud - A State of the Art Mass Spectral Library
MXCloud

A freely searchable collection of high resolution accurate mass spectra that can be accessed online, free of charge.